PODS vs Moving Company: FAQs to Decide Which is Right for You
To help you decide whether moving with PODS or movers is right for you, we’re answering some of the most common questions about the two.
Is Using PODS Cheaper than a Moving Company?
Moving with PODS may seem like an easy way to move, but there are more cost-effective options. When comparing PODS vs moving company services, you’ll quickly notice moving companies are cheaper.
PODS typically charges hefty access and delivery fees, while movers include this service in their price. That said, if you’re looking to save money on your next move, using a reputable and experienced moving company is usually the better option. In addition to being less expensive, movers can also save you time and energy by doing all the heavy lifting for you. All-in-all, when considering moving with PODS vs movers, your wallet will thank you for choosing the latter.
Are PODS Good for a Long-Distance Move?
When moving long distances, many people consider the choice of PODS vs moving company services. PODS are an excellent choice for cross-country moves because they can provide convenience and affordability that a local moving company cannot.
For example, PODS storage containers are delivered to your doorstep, giving you the freedom to load at your own pace. PODS will then transport the containers to your new location, thus taking away the stress of coordinating transportation. These benefits give you more control over the timing of your move.
However, a cross-country move isn’t an easy feat., especially when packing all your belongings and loading them into PODS. We encourage you to consider hiring a local moving company to pack your PODS and enjoy the fruits of hiring a helping hand.
Are PODS Good for a Local Move?
When comparing PODS vs moving company services for a local move, you’ll quickly realize that PODS’ access, delivery, and storage fees far exceed the cost of a local moving company. PODS can be a convenient and appealing option for long-distance moves; however, they are not always the best fit for local moves.
With PODS, you increase the chances of something going wrong as you are responsible for loading, unloading, and furniture protection. In comparison, local movers will pack any or all of your belongings, transport them on their trucks, deliver them on time, and unload your items in your new home. Working with a reputable moving company will give you unparalleled peace of mind during your move, making it one less thing for you to worry about.
Pros and Cons of Moving with PODS vs Movers
- PODS is convenient
- PODS provides temporary storage
- You don’t have to transport your items
- PODS containers are durable and weather resistant
- You can pack at your leisure
- PODS offers contactless moves
- PODS has limited storage space
- PODS doesn’t offer temperature control
- You must have a place to store your PODS container
- PODS containers aren’t completely secure
- You have to provide or hire the labor
- PODS storage facility access may not be available or close to your new home
Moving Company Pros
- You don’t have to do any heavy lifting
- You can avoid the risk of personal injuries
- Moving companies save you time
- Moving companies save you money
- Your belongings are protected
- You reduce the risk of home damage
- Moving companies eliminate the stress of moving
Moving Company Cons
- You have less control over the move
- You may have to work within a moving company’s schedule depending on how soon you need to book your move.
- You might not know the exact contents of the boxes if your items are packed for you
So, Is It Better to Use PODS or a Moving Company?
When it comes to local moves, enlisting the help of a professional moving company is the best bet. A moving company will provide excellent labor services, so you don’t have to do the heavy lifting. They also bring the expertise to get the job done quickly and efficiently. Moving companies come equipped with tools and materials specifically geared toward moving projects, allowing them to move large objects with safety in mind.
Although traditional moving companies offer a reliable service, PODS are a great option for cross-country moves. Not only are they a cost-effective solution, but they offer convenience and peace of mind because you can pack and unpack at your own pace.
So, the answer to the PODS vs moving company debate is… it depends on your move. If you’re still not sure if moving with PODS vs movers is right for you, give us a call at (718) 710-4520 or request a quote and we’ll reach out to you. We’d be happy to discuss your upcoming move and provide you with our unbiased opinion.