Gather the Necessary Supplies
For packing china, you’ll want to first gather all the necessary supplies. Packing China for a move can be tedious, ineffective, and difficult if you don’t provide yourself with the right supplies. Here’s a list of items you will find useful:
- Packing peanuts
- Packing paper
- Foam cushion
- Bubble wrap
- Packing tape
How to Pack China for a Move: Glassware and Serving Dishes
- Wrap each piece individually in packing paper or bubble wrap. Bubble wrap would be preferred for serving dishes and other oblong items.
- Pack the glasses right side up. This will ensure they have as much stability as possible while in transit.
- For glasses or any items with relative uniformity, using cardboard dividers is an excellent way to keep everything sturdy, and keep items from banging into each other.
- Cushion each layer in the box. If you have a layer of cups, or of a serving dish, be sure to cushion it from the other layers so it’s protected.
- Be sure that you fill all remaining space with cushioning and/or peanuts. You don’t want your items to be able to move around.
How to Pack China for a Move: Plates and Bowls
- Avoid laying plates and bowls down. They should be stored standing up on their sides, as they are more sturdy like this. Put cushioning in front of and behind each plate so that it is fully cushioned on all sides.
- Fill in all extra space with padding, peanuts, and cushioning. Nothing should be able to move around.
- Seal the box tight with tape and mark “FRAGILE” on the side.
Hire Professional Movers
One of the best ways to ensure that your china makes it to your new home unscathed is to hire professional movers. Metropolis Moving is a locally-owned boutique moving company that offers professional, courteous moving services to New York City and beyond.
Get a quote today so that we can do the heavy lifting for you while you focus on protecting your belongings.