Like many neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Greenpoint has a tight-knit community feel to it that makes residents never want to leave. Here’s what to expect when you visit Greenpoint Brooklyn.
Greenpoint, Brooklyn Demographics
Greenpoint is home to a large population of Polish-Americans. Therefore, the neighborhood is primarily white. However, for those looking for a little more diversity, the melting pot that is Queens is literally stone’s throw (across Newtown Creek) away.
Here are the neighborhood’s demographics:
- 6.1% Asian
- 3.9% African American
- 20.7% Hispanic
- 65.9% White
- 3.4% Other
- Peter Pan Donut and Pastry Shop – A trip to Greenpoint would be incomplete without visiting Peter Pan. Known for their creative, delectable bakery delights they have become a neighborhood institution. However, don’t take our word for it. Try them for yourself.
- Karczma – Greenpoint has a large population of Polish-Americans, so it only makes sense that there would be fantastic Polish food all around the neighborhood. Karczma is one of the best in the city, becoming a neighborhood institution over their years in Greenpoint.
- Acre – A departure from the Polish traditions of Greenpoint, Acre is a health-conscious establishment serving Japanese-inspired, hearty cuisine that will fill you up without diminishing your diet goals. Their dishes are creative, delicious, and presented with flair.
- Clexico – You’d think you just arrived at a border town when stepping foot in this Greenpoint establishment. Here you’ll find simple, thoughtfully prepared Mexican fare.
- Jungle Cafe – Here you’ll find some of the neighborhood’s best Vegetarian and Vegan options. They’re dedicated to nutritious, wholesome vegan food at a reasonable price.
Greenpoint Brooklyn started as a waterfront neighborhood with an abundance of industrial warehouse space. Nowadays, artists, local fashion designers, and other creative types occupy the neighborhood. The vibe is authentic and creative, and has a punk-rock edge to it.
There are many neighborhood institutions that have been around for a while, which contributes to the community feel. The northern end of the neighborhood was designated as an historic district. In addition to the warehouses in the northern end of the neighborhood, you’ll find brownstones, row houses, and luxury condos.
The neighborhood has a large population of Polish-Americans, which contributes positively to the overall feel of the neighborhood as well as the food and nightlife.
Where is Greenpoint Brooklyn?
Greenpoint is on the northernmost tip of Brooklyn. It is bordered to the north by Newtown Creek, and to the west by the East River. Williamsburg borders the neighborhood to the south, and the 278 Expressway defines the neighborhood’s western border.
Greenpoint, Brooklyn Attractions
- WNYC Transmitter Park: Local Waterfront Park with staggering views of the NYC skyline
- Newtown Creek: Tributary of the East River that defines the neighborhood’s northern border
- Greenpoint Terminal Market: Neighborhood marketplace featuring creatives, food vendors, and local shops
- Dusty Rose Vintage: Vintage fashion shop dedicated to circularity and sustainability to their industry
- Sunshine Laundromat and Pinball: The combo makes sense doesn’t it? Not only can you get your laundry done, but you can also play vintage arcade games while you wait! Why doesn’t my neighborhood have this?
- The Greenpoint Gallery: Non-profit arts organization focused on showcasing and supporting emerging artists. The Gallery was founded in 2004 by local artist and musician Shawn James.
- Bury the Hatchet Axe Throwing: Try your hand at target practice with an axe. A fantastic hobby that doubles as a healthy outlet for frustration and stress!
Greenpoint is one of the most authentic, artsy Brooklyn neighborhoods. Now that you know what this neighborhood has to offer, you’ll need a team of professional, reliable movers to get you there. Metropolis Moving has gained the reputation of being one of New York City’s most courteous, careful, and friendly professional moving services. Get a quote today and you’ll be on your way to living the life you envision for yourself in Greenpoint.