Crown Heights is a very diverse neighborhood. The neighborhood’s history as an enclave for the black community still rings true to this day, as black residents make up the majority of the neighborhood. There is also a sizable Hasidic Jewish community in the neighborhood. The neighborhood’s demographics are as follows:
- Asian: 3.9%
- Black: 55.6%
- Hispanic: 11.2%
- White: 25.1%
- Mixed/Other: 4.2%
Crown Heights Brooklyn Food
The food in Crown Heights is inspired by the diverse mix of cultures that call this place home. Here are some of the best restaurants in the neighborhood, in no particular order:
- Chavela’s – Chavela’s offers authentic Mexican flavors served in a welcoming atmosphere with fantastic cocktails, lively music, and lots of laughter.
- Oxalis – Oxalis is a neighborhood bistro that offers two dining options: a seasonal carte blanche menu in the dining room and an a la carte menu at the bar and garden room.
- Ital Kitchen – Ital Kitchen was born from the idea of food that improves your happiness…simply put, happy food creates happy souls… Ital is the oasis of Crown Heights, created on the premise that food and atmosphere heals.
- Barboncino Pizza – Lively eatery serving Neapolitan brick-oven pizzas plus salads, creative cocktails & more.
- Mozzarella – A menu with an array of kosher pastas, sandwiches, & shakshuka in a casual space with exposed brick.
Crown Heights is a diverse and modest neighborhood with some very significant history. After the abolition of slavery in New York in the 1800s, black families chose Crown Heights as the location where they would establish their own community.
Today, the black community maintains a strong presence in the neighborhood. The community has an old-school New York vibe with summer cookouts being a regular occurrence. The neighborhood also hosts the annual West Indian American Day Carnival.
Crown Heights is in the heart of Brooklyn. It is located just northeast of Prospect Park. The neighborhood’s Western border is along Washington Ave. Atlantic Ave defines the neighborhood’s Northern border, with Howard Ave being the Eastern border of the neighborhood. Empire Blvd and E New York Ave are along the neighborhood’s Southern border.
Crown Heights Attractions
Crown Heights has an abundance of parks and green spaces, as well as museums. Here are some of the most notable attractions in the neighborhood.
- Weeksville Heritage Center – This historic site / cultural center uses education, arts and a social justice lens to preserve, document and inspire engagement with the history of Weeksville, one of the largest free Black communities in pre-Civil War America.
- Brooklyn Botanical Garden – Brooklyn Botanical Garden is an urban botanic garden that connects people to the world of plants, fostering delight and curiosity while inspiring an appreciation and sense of stewardship of the environment.
- Prospect Park – Though not officially within the neighborhood of Crown Heights, Prospect Park is the flagship park of Brooklyn. It offers 586 acres of trails, paths, fields, meadows, and green space, and is a fantastic place to get some exercise or get lost in nature right in the heart of Brooklyn.
- Brooklyn Children’s Museum – Inspired by the energy and diversity of the borough, Brooklyn Children’s Museum creates experiences that ignite curiosity, celebrate identity and cultivate joyful learning.
- Brooklyn Museum – At 560,000 square feet, the museum is New York City’s second largest in physical size and holds an art collection with roughly 1.5 million works.
- Gold Star Beer Counter – This is one of the best beer bars in Brooklyn. They offer craft brews on tap, as well as a variety of cans and bottles, plus small plates, sandwiches & cheese boards.
- Friends and Lovers – Friends and Lovers is a bar, performance venue, and community space in the neighborhood offering funky music, stiff drinks, and nice people.
- The Crown Inn – A friendly neighborhood establishment, The Crown Inn offers craft cocktails and beer in a cavernous bar with exposed brick & Prohibition-style furnishings.
- Super Power – Casual spot for tiki drinks & frozen cocktails with colorful garnishes, plus a few bar bites.
Moving to Crown Heights
Metropolis Moving has gained the reputation of being one of New York City’s most courteous, careful, and friendly professional moving services. Get a quote today and you’ll be on your way to living the life you envision for yourself in Crown Heights.