However, NYC apartments are a premium commodity, so understanding the cost of moving into an apartment in NYC becomes an important element when budgeting your move. To help make it easier, we’ve done some research to provide an estimate of the average cost of moving in NYC and tips for budgeting for your move.
How Much Should I Budget for Moving Expenses in NYC?
The two main expenses associated with moving are the security deposit for your new apartment and moving expenses, whether you do it yourself or hire a moving company. If you hire a moving company, the cost can vary depending on your circumstances. For example:
- Are you moving to a studio, one-bedroom, or two-bedroom apartment?
- Are you moving locally or out of state?
- Is there an elevator in your building, or will the movers need to take your items up flights of stairs (hopefully without recreating the infamous “PIVOT” debacle)?
- Do you only need help packing and/or unpacking a truck?
- Are you moving apartments within the same building?
While costs fluctuate depending on unique situations, we recommend budgeting $1,000+ for a local move and $2,500+ if you’re moving to NYC from over an hour away. Also, don’t forget to consider your security deposit for your new apartment, as well as costs for starting up utilities.
How Much Should I Pay for Movers in NYC?
Some NYC moving companies charge an hourly rate for local moves, while others charge a flat fee based on the amount of inventory you’re moving. If you hire a company with an hourly rate, expect to pay a range of $150 – $250 per hour depending on the time of year for fully-insured, 5-star-rated movers. This price can fluctuate depending on where and what you’re moving.
How Much Does It Cost to Move into an NYC Apartment?
When considering the cost of moving into an apartment in NYC, you’ll want to budget $1,000+ for local moves and $2,500+ if you’re moving from over an hour away. The cost to move into an NYC apartment also factors in your security deposit.
Moving into a new apartment can be an exciting experience, but living in NYC isn’t cheap, and you may have to pay quite a bit upfront. In most cases, you’ll need enough money for the first month’s rent, last month’s rent, and a security deposit. This can add up quickly, especially if you plan on renting an apartment with a higher monthly payment. For example, if your monthly rent is $3,250, you should expect to pay around $9,750 to move in.
Average Cost of Moving a Studio Apartment in NYC
- Average Rent (as of January 2023): $3,200
- Average First, Last, and Security Deposit: $9,600
- Average Cost for Movers: Up to $1,000
- Total Average Cost of Moving a Studio Apartment in NYC: $10,600
Average Moving Cost for a 1 Bedroom Apartment in NYC
- Average Rent (as of January 2023): $3,680
- Average First, Last, and Security Deposit: $11,040
- Average Cost for Movers: Up to $1,200
- Total Average Moving Cost for a 1 Bedroom Apartment in NYC: $12,240
Average Moving Cost for a 2 Bedroom Apartment in NYC
- Average Rent (as of January 2023): $4,095
- Average First, Last, and Security Deposit: $12,285
- Average Cost for Movers: Up to $1,500
- Total Average Moving Cost for a 2 Bedroom Apartment in NYC: $13,785
Keep in mind these numbers are based on the average cost of living in NYC. Many people choose to live in the cheapest neighborhoods in NYC or live with roommates to cut costs. Additionally, your landlord may not require first, last, and a deposit. Finally, the average cost of moving in NYC depends on how much stuff you’re moving, how far you’re moving, and special items and circumstances.
Choose Metropolis Moving for Reliable, Affordable Movers in NYC
At Metropolis Moving, we’re dedicated to providing you with an exceptional experience while moving in NYC. Our locally-owned company is fully licensed and insured, and our designated foremen have years of experience in efficient and secure relocation services. You can rely on our team to get the job done with poise and precision. But don’t just take our word for it–we’re highly endorsed on third-party review sites like YELP and Google! Ready to get moving? Reach out today to get a free moving quote for the cost of moving into an apartment in NYC.